MGM Resorts Named One of the “Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality”
For the sixth consecutive year, Human Rights Campaign (HRC) has rated MGM Resorts International as among the nation’s leading companies for workplace equality for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ) employees.
Based on the company’s policies and practices relating to LGBTQ employees, MGM Resorts earned a perfect score on the 2018 Corporate Equality Index (CEI), an annual HRC survey that evaluates major companies for their non-discrimination and benefits policies and practices with respect to LGBTQ employees.
“Diversity and inclusion are bedrocks of our company culture and way of doing business,” said Phyllis A. James, MGM Resorts executive vice president and chief diversity and corporate responsibility officer.
She continued, “This commitment is demonstrated not only through our diverse workforce, but also in the top quality of service we provide to our guests who visit us from all corners and cultures of the world.”
The CEI assessment focuses on LGBTQ-related company policies and practices, including nondiscrimination workplace protections, transgender-inclusive health care benefits, competency programs and public engagement with the LGBTQ community.
The 2018 CEI rated 947 businesses, of which 609 achieved 100 percent, earning the coveted distinction of “Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality.”
According to MGM Resorts officials, the company has a long-standing record of support of the LGBTQ community, including as a National Corporate Partner of HRC. Examples include:
- The company was the first in the gaming and hospitality industry to formally adopt a diversity initiative (2000) and to offer health benefits to same-sex couples (2004).
- In 2004, MGM Resorts was a founding partner of the Las Vegas chapter of the Human Rights Campaign.
- MGM Resorts has sponsored the Las Vegas PRIDE Parade for 12 years, most recently serving as the presenting sponsor.
- In 2011, MGM Resorts expanded its supplier and construction diversity programs to include LGBTQ-owned firms.
- In 2013, MGM Resorts donated $300,000 to The Gay and Lesbian Community Center of Southern Nevada to support the construction and opening of its new building.
- Years before same-sex marriage was legalized, same-sex commitment ceremonies were performed at chapels at MGM Resorts’ properties, which continue to develop specialized marriage ceremony offerings and outreach to same-sex couples.
“We are honored to be recognized for the vigorous efforts we invest in promoting equality for all within our Company, our communities and human society,” James said.
She added, “We will proudly continue to stand with the LGBTQ community in helping to build a world that embraces inclusion and respect for the humanity and dignity of all people.”
For more information about MGM Resorts International’s commitment to diversity and inclusion, go HERE.
The Human Rights Campaign Foundation is the educational arm of the nation’s largest civil rights organization working to achieve equality for lesbian, gay, bisexual transgender and queer people. HRC envisions a world where LGBTQ people are embraced as full members of society at home, at work and in every community. To learn more, go HERE.
Want to receive more valuable Corporate Event News in your inbox every Wednesday? Subscribe HERE!